Discovered in 1872, the Mars mosaic was later removed by the landowner, William Cory, and laid in the entrance hall of his nearby manor house. With the help of grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund and a number of local supporters, the mosaic was purchased and lifted by a team of specialists. After conservation, it was installed in Andover’s Museum of the Iron Age in 2009.
This mosaic floor once decorated the main room of a Romano-British villa in the village of Fullerton, Hampshire. The centrepiece of the mosaic is the god Mars in his role as protector of agriculture.