Hampshire Cultural Trust (HCT) is celebrating after again being awarded Full Accreditation status by Arts Council England (ACE) for the museums it operates in Hampshire and Dorset.
This resounding endorsement means that the museums have received recognition for achieving national standards: the accreditation scheme is the UK quality standard and serves as an authoritative benchmark for assessing performance, rewarding achievement and driving improvement.
The scheme sets nationally agreed standards for all museums countrywide. To meet the requirements of accreditation, which needs to be re-applied for every three to five years, museums have to demonstrate that they comply with standards relating to: how they provide services and facilities for users; how they support access; how they care for and manage their collections and how they are managed and governed.
Janet Owen, Chief Executive Officer of HCT, commented: ‘We are thrilled to have received full accreditation status for the museums that we manage once again. Applying for accreditation is a long and rigorous process and we had to prepare comprehensive documentation to show that we continue to meet the national standards of good museum management. Gaining accreditation is testament to the incredible work and dedication of the team here at Hampshire Cultural Trust, and I would like to thank them all for their hard work and commitment.’
Alan Lovell, Chair of Trustees at HCT, added: ‘Receiving full Arts Council accreditation is fantastic news. It reinforces just how remarkable the museums we have in our communities are, and how important they are for the enjoyment and benefit not only of residents, but for the many national and international visitors to Hampshire as well.’
The HCT operated museums which have received accreditation are:
- Aldershot Military Museum, Aldershot
- The Allen Gallery and Curtis Museum, Alton
- Andover Museum and Museum of the Iron Age, Andover
- Basing House, Old Basing
- Bursledon Windmill, Bursledon
- Gosport Discovery Centre (consisting of SEARCH, the Gallery and the Mezzanine)
- Milestones Museum and the Willis Museum and Sainsbury Gallery, Basingstoke
- Red House Museum and Gardens, Christchurch
- Rockbourne Roman Villa, Fordingbridge
- Westbury Manor Museum, Fareham
- Westgate and City Museums, Winchester