Please note, the lifts at Winchester Discovery Centre are currently out of order. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Raymond Briggs: A Retrospective, on tour from House of Illustration, is the first ever exhibition dedicated to the author-illustrator behind some of the most popular and influential children’s books and graphic novels ever published. Hampshire Cultural Trust is delighted to be the inaugural venue of the tour.
This long-awaited retrospective will show never-before-seen material from Briggs’ personal archive, revealing the origins of titles that have become household favourites, literary classics and international phenomena.
The exhibition includes over 100 original artworks from iconic books, celebrating Briggs as an exceptional draughtsman, typographer and storyteller. Find your favourites including, Ug: Boy Genius of the Stone Age (2001), Ethel & Ernest: A True Story (1998), Fungus the Bogeyman (1977) and The Snowman (1978).
Look out for lots of additional content and behind-the-scenes insights for this exhibition on our digital publication, Culture on Call.
Raymond Briggs: A Retrospective is a touring exhibition from House of Illustration. We are excited to be working with this fantastic organisation again, having previously hosted their superb What Are You Like? and Gerald Scarfe: Stage and Screen exhibitions.
Visiting the Exhibition
- Raymond Briggs: A Retrospective is a ticketed exhibition. Please pre-book your admission ticket and preferred visiting time.
- If you do not have a pre-booked admission ticket and entry time, or arrive late for your visiting time, we will do our best to accommodate you, but cannot guarantee that you will be able to visit the exhibition.
- Your ticket allows you to return to the exhibition as many times as you like with no additional charge. To book a repeat visit, please call 0370 7796833.
- Please note that there are deliberately low light levels in the exhibition to protect the art works.
- Photography is not permitted in this exhibition.
We look forward to welcoming you to The Gallery soon.
Banner image: Top of the Plant page layout, Jim and the Beanstalk © Raymond Briggs, 1970
Additional images: Buckingham Palace page spread, Father Christmas © Raymond Briggs, 1973
VE Day, Ethel and Ernest © Raymond Briggs, 1998
The Elephant and the Bad Baby illustration © text Elfrida Vipont Foulds, illustrations Raymond Briggs, 1969
Ug - Boy Genius of the Stone Age cover © Raymond Briggs, 2001